Invest for the possibility of success, not the guarantee!
Ian Wharton (Group Creative director)
AKQA is an ideas and innovation company.
We exist to create the future with our clients.
Working Process used in AKQA
- Hardcore research – Reading journal, re-journal it.
- Go out and speak to people (physical, digital)
- Pretend! Put yourself in the world of that scenario you are working on. Act it out.
- Prototype quickly. Jamie Oliver app was prototyped on paper
Wharton gave an example of working with a client from an airport. He said, “When customer asks for a mobile app, what client asked might not be the relevant solution. What they really need was a new signage of a way finding.”
This is the one of the reason why they never used focus group. Customers/clients actually don’t know what they exactly in need of.
He said “Our goal is to create things that are worthy for the investment of people’s time.”
“Working for clients is charging for people’s time”
Some inspiring thoughts from Wharton
- Don’t just assume that you know about it.
- Ask if this would this make their(customer’s) life better.
- Never leap to a conclusion before you know what the problem is.
- Stay Simple. Don’t over engine because life is super complex already.
Advice for MA students 🙂
- We are expected to create a certainty. But that is entirely wrong.
–> Invest for the possibility of success, not the guarantee!
- Unfortunately what world expect you all is to be multidisciplinary of everything.
If you are born as a designer, don’t assume that you can’t write.
- Allow yourself a room to f*** up. Dare to fail. Failure is never fun!
Allow yourself to write a crap sentence… and nail it.